[rat-forum] RE: Suggestions for rat strains

Rajni Nigam rnigam at mcw.edu
Mon May 12 14:41:01 CDT 2003

Dear Dr. Blizard,

I did a quick search on the strains in RGD (http://rgd.mcw.edu/strains/) using the keyword corticosterone and got four strains namely-F344, LEW, SHR and THA. I guess any of these combinations could be used. I am not sure which specifications you are looking for.

I also did a search in PubMed and Google using the key words ?rat strain? and 'dexamethasone' and there were many hits. A few of those were:?Complimentation of the genetic defect in Gunn rat?? M Wilke A Bijma,.Gene Therapy (1997) 4, 1305?1312.

Rebuffat P, Belloni AS,. Zona glomerulosa morphology and function in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Endocrinology 1988; 123(2)949-955.

Shenker Y, Villareal JZ, Sider RS, Grekin RJ. a-Melanocyte-stimulating hormone stimulation of aldosterone secretion in hypophysectomized rats. Endocrinology 1985; 116(1):138-141.

Please take a look at these and let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Rajni

Rajni Nigam
Curator, Rat Genome Database