[rat-forum] PTH Levels in SD Rat

Raff, Hershel hraff at mcw.edu
Tue Feb 7 09:09:24 CST 2012

Those PTH levels are ridiculously high (see attached paper).  I have also attached a recent paper and a recent editorial on the effects of facility construction in rats.

So could the "stress" increase PTH levels that high?  I am somewhat doubtful but anything is possible. In the attached paper, the combination of halothane and hypoxia increased PTH to about 400 pg/ml.  Were the animals gaining weight appropriately?  Obviously, decreased calcium intake would also increase PTH, although I am not sure to >1000 pg/ml.

My final question - have you measured intact PTH in your rats BEFORE the construction started?  If so, what were the levels.  The issue may not be the construction; it could be a problem with the assay or preanalytical error.

Hershel Raff PhD
Professor of Medicine (Endocrine), Surgery, and Physiology