[rat-forum] PTH Levels in SD Rat

Michael Tordoff tordoff at monell.org
Tue Feb 7 10:07:59 CST 2012

Hi Rajesh:

In my lab, PTH levels of calcium-replete Sprague Dawley rats are around 30
pg/ml and moderately calcium-deprived rats are 100 - 150 pg/ml (Am J
Physiol., 1996, 270: R505-R517).  I've never seen a value as high as 1150
pg/ml and I doubt this could be obtained by stressing a rat.  My first
thought on obtaining such high values would be to question the assay.  There
are large differences between PTH assays from different manufacturers and
some are more specific than others.

You would probably get a better idea of stress by measuring corticosterone
than PTH.

Good luck with your renovations,

Mike Tordoff

Michael G. Tordoff, Ph.D.